Sunday, December 6, 2009

One week

Today is my one week anniversary in Sanikiluaq. Time is flying and continues to be entertaining and exciting. Although, interestingly, I find myself sleeping longer in the morning, and I am not the only one. All of us (and that includes the dog) are usually early risers, and yet we easily convince ourselves that snuggling in bed for most of the morning is a grand idea :). Granted it doesn't get light here until about 745 or so, but that is really no excuse seen as when I was a 'working woman' I was up at 6 every morning. This last paragraph is going to be especially frustrating for Pam! I feel for you having to get up at 4:30 am this week (xo).

Today was by far the nicest day of the week. In fact Terry and others claimed that they have yet to see such a glorious sunny day, with no wind (and this is key, when there are no flipping trees to stop the gusts, or slow it down it literally feels like you are going to be swept off your feet). This morning the local flags were barely blowing so Hope and I took off early for a nice walk while Terry had a bloody war with the satellite dish and the receiver. He is a big fan of Coronation Street but we can't seem to get any CBC channels for some reason. We think it might be the actual receiver...but then again, it could be the satellite - my challenge for this week is to get things running smoothly by next Sunday before the bear starts roaring about missing his regular soap opera.

We hooked up with some of the teachers (same as last night, Joe and Lindsey) and played badminton for the afternoon at the school. It was a really good time, but I hurt like hell and expect it will get worse tomorrow. Plus Terry kept smashing the shuttle coc (I just like writing that) at my butt.

We also tried to do a little cod fishing but because there was no wind the bay actually froze up today. This is salt water and I would have expected it to take a lot longer to freeze up but perhaps I am just getting used to the cold. It was probably about -5 today and the temperature has dropped considerably since the sun went down.

The hip hop practice starts tomorrow...I would have looked like a quad before playing badminton and getting my ass all "bent out of shape" but now, well I may as well bring a video camera so y'all can have a good laugh.

We had burgers on the BBQ tonight - was delicious. Using the BBQ is precious - the cost of a propane tank up here is approximately $160 (yes that zero is supposed to be there), so we treat it like the liquide gold it is. It was still yummy though. Now we are settling in and getting ready for Amazing Race!

Hope everyone has a great week at work (te-he), I plan to focus on getting this place decorated with a few of my own creations.

Happy Sunday,
DJ

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment